It is important for a homeowner to understand how to use a vent-free fireplace safely. Some are skeptical of the safety of a system that does not exhaust to the outdoors. However, with the proper measures in installing, operating, and maintaining your fireplace, a vent-free system is easy to use and safe for your home.

The first important step is determining the amount of BTUs necessary for the room in your home. The British Thermal Unit is a heat measurement based on the amount of heat it takes to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree Fahrenheit. By calculating the BTU per square foot of space, you can determine the appropriate size fireplace to heat it.

Installation of a vent-free fireplace is straightforward for anyone with handyman skills. The unit has a factory-installed burner and logs. It need only be set into place in wood framing. Then a heating professional needs to hook up the fireplace safely to the gas line. Note: Some states have restrictions on which rooms can have a vent-free appliance. Be sure to check this before installing.

Once installed, the vent-free fireplace can be easily and safely operated by remote control or wall thermostat. Click here for a guide to lighting the pilot light.

All vent-free appliances in the United States are tested for safety by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). ANSI oversees development and consistently upgrades safety standards on appliances. All vent-free manufacturers are additionally required to submit products to independent safety laboratories.

An important safety feature in any vent-free fireplace is the Oxygen Detection Safety-Pilot. This will automatically determine the level of oxygen in the air of your home. If the percentage drops below a normal 22-25%, the pilot burner will safely turn off. The gas supply is shut off, ensuring your safety. All ANSI-certified vent-free appliances have this system. At Mr. Vent Free, we only sell ANSI-certified vent-free appliances.

Some people are concerned with emissions from the fireplace, especially carbon monoxide. However, the exhaust from a vent-free fireplace is at a harmless level. This is because vent-free appliances use clean-burning natural gas or liquid propane. They burn at a precise and efficient rate of combustion, minimizing any by-products. Extensive research has determined that air quality in homes with vent-free appliances easily meet safety standards.

If you experience any unusual odor or smoke, have your fireplace serviced by a technician. It is advised to have a qualified technician inspect the ignition system and other components once a year. Your unit will also require occasional maintenance that you can perform yourself. To learn how to do this safely, check out this blog post with video.

At Mr. Vent Free, we are happy to answer your questions. Click to contact us.